Celano is a city with a population of 11,184 located in the Marsica, in the province of L’Aquila.
Monuments and attractions:
- The Piccolomini castle, located at the heart of the historic centre; it is Celano’s most important monument.
- The church of San Michele Arcangelo
- The little church of La Madonnina
- The little church of San Leonardo
- The church of San Rocco
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
- The church of San Giovanni Battista
- The church of San Francesco
- The church of the Madonna del Carmine
- The church of the Sacro Cuore
- The church of Santa Maria Valleverde
- The Museo d’Arte Sacra della Marsica, located inside the castle
- The Museo della Preistoria
Outside of town, but still within its boundaries, are the gorges known as the gole di Celano, which are worth a visit.
The city is remembered in the fresco “Death of the Knight of Celano”, No. 16 in the cycle of frescoes illustrating The Legend of Saint Francis, in the Upper Church of Saint Francis in Assisi.