Anversa degli Abruzzi is a town in the province of L’Aquila with a population of 368. It is a member of the Comunità Montana Peligna, a local association of mountain communities, and the club Borghi più Belli d’Italia, which identifies and produces a guide on the country’s most scenic towns.
Monuments and attractions:
- The Norman castle, of which only ruins remain. It once housed a well-known triptych, which was subsequently moved to the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie. The work was stolen in 1981 and has been replaced with a copy.
- The case dei Lombardi (Lombards’ houses), built between 1480 and 1520 to accommodate workers from the north of Italy.
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (16th century), a three-nave structure in the Romanesque style.
- The church of San Marcello (11th century), a Romanesque building with a portal in the late Gothic style.
- The ruins of the church of Santa Maria ad Nives (9th century), located downhill from town, in the direction of the nature reserve. The church was built in the Romanesque style next to a Benedictine monastery.
- The ruins of the church of San Vincenzo (13th century), located just outside of town. Only part of the walls remains. A monk was buried there in 1333.
- Porta Pazziana, a town gate
- Porta San Nicola, a town gate
- The necropolis, or burial ground
- The Giardino Botanico delle Sorgenti del Cavuto (a botanical garden located at the Cavuto springs, in the nature reserve)